Some words associated with resilience are toughness, elasticity, quick to recover, and adaptability in the face of adversity. Why is it important and how do we develop it? It is important for a variety of reasons as it can enable us to develop coping mechanisms for responding to stressful situations and it can help us maintain balance when life seems to be overwhelming. And, yes, sometimes it is achieved as we move through challenging times and discover we are able to survive.
Here are a few tips for developing your resilience:
- Make connections. Good relationships with close family members, friends, and others are important. Accepting help and support from those who care about you and will listen to you strengthens resilience.
- Avoid seeing crises as insurmountable problems. Try looking beyond the present to how future circumstances may be a little better.
- Accept that change is part of living. Accepting circumstances that cannot be changed can help you focus on circumstances that you can alter.
- Move toward your goals. Do something regularly – even if it seems like a small accomplishment – that enables you to move toward your goals.
- Take decisive action. Act on adverse situations as much as you can.
- Look for opportunities for self-discovery.
- Nurture a positive view of yourself.
- Keep things in perspective.
- Maintain a hopeful outlook.
- Take care of yourself.
(taken from “The Road to Resilience”, American Psychological Association, http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/road-resilience.aspx)
Other suggestions are: keeping a journal, meditation, or other spiritual practice. The key is to find what works best for you and you are most likely to adapt as your personal plan for building resilience.
“The oak fought the wind and was broken, the willow bent when it must and survived.” ~ Robert Jordan
until next time…
Mahalo, Lani. I think the key is what you closed with, to find what you are most likely to use consistently. Then you tend to see results sooner and are motivated to keep going and maybe even add something more. <3
Love you 💞